Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reflections on the OCLC Report

What I found interesting was the report on cell (mobile) phone usage for sending emails and searching the Internet amongst the Japanese general public (De Rosa et. al, 2007, p 1-17). Is this a phase or the way of the future? Will Australia follow the same trend? Personally, I’d like to see things on big screens as I have four eyes. (I really must get my eyes checked again as I am seeing plenty of cobwebs lately). Imagine me trying to read tiny text on my mobile phone. I’ve been hearing a lot about iPhones lately and how wonderful they are. Ha! I’ll wait till they go down in price and get one. Anyways, back to Japan. I think the main reason that the Japanese use their phone a lot to access the Internet is due to the lack of space. I mean if you live in a small apartment in Tokyo, you’d want to maximise the space you already have. Why have a cumbersome desktop hardrive and a huge screen when all the desk space you have is the kitchen bench? Australia isn’t in the same boat. Although we are becoming mobile (with short attention span) so we might follow suit.

MySpace seems to be the most popular social networking site by country according to the OCLC report (De Rosa et. al, 2007, p. 2-11) with Facebook coming 4th or 5th on the list. I wonder why the designers of the subject INF506 have chosen Facebook as a social networking site to study. Perhaps from a marketing point of view, Facebook is more appealing than MySpace. According to Holzner (2009, p. 7), MySpace is a ‘chaotic zoo’ with unfriendly and navigational pages. Facebook on the other hand, has an attractive demographic suited for marketing exploitation (he he he).


References

De Rosa, C., Cantrell, J., Havens, A., Hawk, J. & Jenkins, L. (2007). Sharing privacy and trust in our networked world: A report to the OCLC membership. Dublin, Ohio: OCLC. [ebook] Available http://www.oclc.org/reports/pdfs/sharing.pdf

Holzner, S. (2009). Facebook marketing: Leverage social media to grow your business. Indianapolis: Que Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment