Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A journey of a thousand steps

When I first signed up for this unit (INF506) last year, I thought the subject entailed going out there physically, meeting people, handing out my business cards and discussing what I do professionally. How WRONG and NAIVE can I be?? After reading the subject outline and modules I have realised that social networking is all about sharing common interests to benefit individual members of a particular and special group using the online environment.


Although I have used the RSVP (gasp!) site eight years ago, I did not personally belong to any social networking groups. I have heard and know of Facebook, Flickr and Twitter but really had no great desire or need to sign up as I thought it would take my already limited time ‘chatting up’ with people. I started a blog for the first time four months ago when I studied ETL401. It also required an online learning journal. For work, I’ve joined the mailing list for ALIA OPAL, Tasmanian Libraries and Koha User Group to guide me professionally.


After I complete this subject, I would like to understand more about Web 2.0 technologies and applications. I would also like to become proficient at using different social networking platforms and be able to apply these in my professional and business activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment