Saturday, October 2, 2010

Critical Synthesis of Reflection on the role of Teacher Librarians

I chose ETL401 as one of four elective subjects to complete my Master of Information Studies. So in a sense, I am not in the same boat as everyone else in the class. In other words, I didn’t choose it because I wanted to work in the educational arena like most of the students do in this session. However, I did think that it would be an interesting subject and prior to the study session starting I did some research on the Internet on the role of teacher librarians. My first impression of it was that schools are experiencing budget cutbacks and school libraries are suffering as a consequence as they are not seen as an essential component of the school communities (“Invest in school libraries”, 2006, p. 1). I wondered if this was due to a poor self-image of the school library and librarian (at this stage I did not realize that the school librarian was also a teacher). I then suggested in one of my blog posts (Tumon, 2010a) that perhaps effective marketing could help the plight of school libraries.

As I lacked knowledge of the educational system and curriculum, I completed further research on the different state and territory school curriculum. It was interesting to note the type of learning abilities the schools were aiming for. I then tried to connect how the role of TLs could facilitate achievements relative to such learning outcomes. I thought my initial interactions to the subject readings, podcasts, lecture notes and assignment questions gave me some understanding on what TLs do. However, as I read further and tried to understand information literacy theories, resource-based learning models and information literate school communities I became aware of my lack of ability to further comprehend and appreciate what TLs do. My view was TLs simply help out students find resources for their school assignments in the library. I wrote in one of my blog posts that TLs made no significant impact on my searching and learning abilities whilst at school more than twenty years ago (Tumon, 2010b). Even my meeting with a real life TL who came across as knowledgeable and professional did not alleviate my lack of appreciation. The penny dropped however, when I received the result of my first assignment. Amidst the confusion and ignorance, I finally realized that my less desirable view of TLs contributed to my poor articulation of the TLs role and function within the school environment.

Doing assignment two gave me an improved perspective on why TLs exist and how they facilitate student-learning outcomes. Thinking about how the ASLA/ALIA professional standards for TLs could improve the professional practice, clarified many of my misconceptions of the TL’s role. For example, the standards inform us that TLs are knowledgeable of the principles of lifelong learning. Consequently, I re-read the literature on resource-based learning (RBL) and realized that TLs must be able to understand this learning model in order to provide adequate and appropriate resources and services (Haycock, 1991, p. 16). However, as Melinda McGrath’s posting (McGrath, 2010) revealed, RBL is inspiring in theory but not in practice because of the amount of human resources required to facilitate this particular learning model. This led me to think that TLs could address this issue by cooperative planning and teaching. TL as a collaborator was a difficult idea for me to grasp because of my personal view on personality clashes and professional relationships within an organisation where the common goal is unknown. However, as I began reading the literature again (especially that of Peter Senge’s “Give me a lever long enough..and single-handed I can move the world”) with a different eye, I became aware that working in partnerships with teachers and other school administrators not only enhances the TLs professional learning but also improves student-learning outcomes.

Critically analysing three information skills models was also significant in improving my view of the TLs role. By understanding how students go through stages in seeking information, I can also understand how I, being a student also go through the same process in order to answer an informational problem-in this case the role of TLs. I especially like Kuhlthau’s ISP model because it incorporates thoughts, feelings and actions in each stage of the search process. I experienced a dip in confidence when I received my first assignment back. Fortunately a quick response and encouragement from Roy and Lee enabled me to gain renewed interest in what I was learning, and became determined to expand my knowledge base. In the words of a wise fellow student: “…we are all doing IL…” (Hartigan, 2010).












References
Hartigan, J. (2010, September 7). In response to Danielle Hay. Message posted to ETL401 Topic 4 Sub-forum. Retrieved from http://forums.csu.edu.au/perl/forums.pl?forum_id=ETL401_201060_W_D_Sub4_forum&task=frameset

Haycock, C. (1991). Resource-based learning: A shift in the roles of teacher, learner. NASSP Bulletin, 75(535), 15-22.

Invest in school libraries to create 21st century learning communities. (2006). Access, 20(3). http://www.teachers.ash.org.au/rblonline/Library/publishedwork/21stLearningCommunities.pdf

McGrath, M. (2010, July 19). Resource-based Learning. Message posted to ETL401 Topic 1 Sub-forum. Retrieved from http://forums.csu.edu.au/perl/forums.pl?forum_id=ETL401_201060_W_D_Sub2_forum&task=frameset

Tumon, K. (2010a, July 5). First time blogger. Message posted to http://www.thearmchairlibrarian.blogspot.com. Retrieved from http://thearmchairlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/first-time-blogger.html

Tumon, K. (2010b, July 17). Resource-based learning. Message posted to http://www.thearmchairlibrarian.blogspot.com. Retrieved from http://thearmchairlibrarian.blogspot.com/2010/07/resource-based-learning.html

No comments:

Post a Comment