Saturday, July 17, 2010

Who wants to be a Teacher Librarian?

I don’t want to be a teacher librarian. Teaching has never been my forte. I remembered teaching my sister how to drive and it drove (no pun intended) both of us crazy! I spent most of the time stressed and screaming at her and poor Eleanor must have been so distraught. It’s amazing that she has not been traumatized by it all and is a normal human being and happily driving I must say.


So maybe there is more to teacher librarians than teaching – time to put my investigative hat on. I have managed to speak to a real live teacher librarian at a local private school here in Hobart. His name is James and he told me that he was one of the people that started the teacher librarianship course at the CSU. Amazing! What a small world. So hopefully, I’ll meet him on Monday and I’m ready to ask him all sorts of nonsense questions.


I’ve also been reading some of the submissions (one of which is practically the answer to the first assignment) in the ‘Inquiry into school libraries and teacher librarians in Australian schools’: http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/edt/schoollibraries/subs.htm


Also, been looking at some school curriculum programs one in particular is the ACT one: http://www.det.act.gov.au/teaching_and_learning/curriculum_programs just to get the feel about the type of programs schools are offering.


Hmmm, there might still be a chance to convert me to a teacher librarian.

3 comments:

  1. um....isn't this course an odd place to find someone who DOESN'T want to be a TL??? *confused look on face*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is going to be fun to read. Looking forward to seeing some changes. All the best!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, yes you must be confused. I am doing my Masters in Information studies with the intention of entering big library organisations such as the NLA and working for them remotely. However, if the opportunity arises at least I have background knowledge in libraries within the school community.

    Intrepid Traveller, thanks for your comment. I do hope I can make you laugh

    ReplyDelete